|survival fire starter equipment|
My Patriot Supply has compiled a list of the most critical skills to teach your children to prepare them
for a natural disaster or other catastrophic emergency situation:
- Starting a Fire – Fire is the backbone of our civilization – it’s critical to our survival, but it’s something we take for granted with modern cooking and heating appliances. During an emergency, a fire allows you to stay warm, cook food, sterilize water and more – but not enough people understand the basics of starting one. Ensure that your children are familiar with starting a fire using sticks and dry brush, and equip them to use survival fire starter equipment. Of course, make sure to also show them proper safety techniques when around fires.
- Purifying Water – Access to clean water is another thing we take for granted, but becomes a point of survival in disaster situations where clean water is not readily available. Drinking contaminated water can cause illness and possibly death, so knowing how and why to purify water – by means of a water purification device, or boiling water; is critical for survival.
- Using a Map and Compass – When we need directions, we use our GPS systems or Google Maps…but what happens when there’s no power and no gasoline to power your car? What if in the midst of chaos you’re separated from home? Adults and children should learn basic navigation skills such as using maps and compasses, and learn the landmarks near their home.
- Preserving Food – At home, there’s always enough food available. But in the worst of disasters, food becomes scarce. What can you do to prepare for an emergency and ensure you don’t go hungry? Teach your youngsters the basics of food preparation and cooking so that they will have this valuable skill going forward. Learning to plant seeds and grow fruits and vegetables is imperative in a prolonged survival situation, and recognizing poisonous from nutritious foods in nature can be an advantage. Learning to hunt game and prepare it as food is never a bad idea, either.
- Know where supplies are – You’ve stocked up on everything for an emergency in your home – but what if you’re away when disaster strikes? Your children should know where to find emergency supplies such as preserved food, flashlights, and first aid kits. Exit Plans – No matter what the disaster – be it floods and fires or looting and riots – teach your children the importance of always having an exit plan. Movie theaters, schools, malls - teach them to be aware of where the exits are in case of emergency, how to exit quickly in case of crisis, and where to go from there (a trusted neighbor or relative’s house).
- Exit Plans – No matter what the disaster – be it floods and fires or looting and riots – teach your children the importance of always having an exit plan. Movie theaters, schools, malls - teach them to be aware of where the exits are in case of emergency, how to exit quickly in case of crisis, and where to go from there (a trusted neighbor or relative’s house).
- Staying safe in an emergency – Your children should understand how to keep themselves safe during an emergency. If they are separated from you, teach them to seek out a police officer or other adult in a position of authority if they can’t reach you. Also teach them how to stay safe outdoors to protect against animals and other injuries.
- Treating Injuries – Cuts, scrapes, bruises, and other injuries do happen, even with the best prepared plans. Teach your children the basics of first aid including cleaning cuts and applying bandages since a simple infection can cause a lot of problems.
- Always be aware of your surroundings – We mentioned the importance of an exit plan. Being aware of the situation around you can mean a quicker exit and avoidance of danger. Teach children how to look for signs of danger during an emergency so that they can put an escape plan into action quickly.
- Keep Calm – The most important thing on this list for everyone is to remain calm during a disaster situation. Remaining calm allows you to address a situation with clear judgment and prevents costly mistakes when every second counts. Rehearsing emergency plans and other types of drills are designed to make it easier to deal with the real thing if it happens, so this is never a bad idea either.
|long term food supply|
|non GMO, non hybrid heirloom seeds|
About My Patriot Supply: MyPatriotSupply.com was started with the idea of teaching people self-reliance, particularly when faced with situations where government assistance is not available. With a collection of non GMO, non hybrid heirloom seeds, water purification systems, and emergency preparedness items like long term food supply packs, My Patriot Supply gives all Americans the capability to survive the worst of disasters.